Obese? Find a way out to relieve your joint pains
Obesity is one of the most common health problem which is defined as excessive accumulation of body fat, which when present in normal quantities is required to perform certain body functions. Abnormal deposition of fat occurs over a period of time when the calories consumed exceed the amount of calories burnt.
Risk factors of obesity
- Excess weight gain silently pushes the individual into a mesh of following health disorders:
- Increased cholesterol levels
- Diseases of musculoskeletal system
- Decrease in overall flexibility of the body
- Shortness of breath and early fatigue.
- Heart diseases
- Joint pains and arthritis
Reasons of joint pains due to obesity
Obesity is a challenging health problem and being overweight often results in joint pains. Well the basic mechanism lies in a simple fact that our big joints and small joints bear the entire body weight. More the weight, more is the degree to which the joints have to adjust the pressures and shock absorbing capacities within themselves while we are walking, jogging, bending, climbing or even just sitting.
Shortcomings of using a gymnasium
Whilst you want to get back in shape as soon as possible, you are often intimidated by some things when you go to a gym like small benches and seats of machines. Some machines can give knee and back pain.
So, initially if you get conscious about your weight, it is always good to start with a personal instructor, regain your confidence, reduce a little and go to the gym.
Guidelines to follow the exercises
Compliment yourself with a balanced diet and target more and more calorie expenditure. Start with simple aerobic exercise like walking, moving all your body parts, and deep breathing.
Gradually, switch over to weight training which not only raises the metabolism, muscle – fat ratio but also strengthens muscles and generates new bone cells.
Exercise program for the entire body
Start Slow and small:
- The exercises listed below should be performed under the supervision of a trainer.
- Start with slow and sustained stretches like neck stretch, arms, rotate shoulders, knee and hip stretch by touching the ankle to your buttock, stand on toes and heels.
- Allow the body to cool down so that you are not sweating profusely.
- The key to a healthy exercise protocol is to focus on the duration first and intensity later.
- Being obese you would like to start slowly with 10 – 15 minutes.
Moving to endurance exercises:
- Elevate both shoulders, contract tight and relax.
- Tie 1 kg weights both wrists, lift your arms straight till 30 degrees, 60 degrees, 90 degrees. Every time you do so, hold ten and relax.
- Bend elbows with weights on.
- Lie down straight, tie weights on ankles, lift the leg straight up, count ten and relax.
- Contract your hips tight and relax followed by contracting knees tight and relax.
- Move your legs as if you are cycling in the air. This puts pressure over the belly.
- Place hands behind the head and try touching chest to knees. It will work even if you are making tiniest of the effort.
- Stand behind a chair and bend knee backwards with weight tied. Try mini squats too.
- Jog standing at the same place.
- Walking at a slow pace on treadmill and forceful expiration while pulling your tummy inside is good.
- Recumbent cycle and water exercises are also good.
Significance of exercises done in the right way
All the exercises when done in a controlled manner will work wonders to enhance metabolism and blood circulation, uplift low mood and self esteem, energize and improve stamina.
- Go slow and do not overstress yourself.
- Wear light clothing for proper heat dissipation.
- Drink plenty fluids.
- STOP if there is any experience of pain in the jaw, chest or difficulty in breathing.