Your hectic lifestyle may always be an excuse for you to skip the gym and snack on fast food. But there are several other easy ways to maintain your health. Here are some simple diet tips to enhance your everyday health.
Your hectic lifestyle may always be an excuse for you to skip the gym and snack on fast food. But there are several other easy ways to maintain your health. Here are some simple diet tips to enhance your everyday health
Many of us are so busy we that we hardly spend even a few minutes each day on our health and fitness. What we need to remember is that even a little effort towards consciously eating right and some regular exercises incorporated in the daily routine can not only help you to stay fir, but also help ease depression, boost your energy, enhance the mood, build positive self-image, and relieve stress. Here are some tips for people with a hectic lifestyle.
Fuel up with a healthy breakfast: Start your day with a good breakfast as it is the most important meal of the day. It helps to re-fuel after a good night's sleep and assists in blood sugar management. Your breakfast should comprise of:
Lifestyle diseases account for more than 60 percent of all deaths.
36 million deaths each year are caused by noncommunicable diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and chronic lung diseases.
Cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) are the number one group of conditions causing death globally
- Carbohydrates: they give you energy to keep going throughout the day; can be found in fruits, oats, cereals, idli's or dosa.
- Proteins: Protein fills you up so that you don't have food cravings throughout the day. Foods like eggs, beans, soy or grilled chicken contain protein.
- Fibre: to keep your digestive system healthy. Fibre is found in whole cereals, grains and fruits.
- Fats: Fats contribute in making up the energy you need throughout the day. Nuts, seeds, healthy oils like extra virgin olive, flax and coconut can provide you the fat required.
Eat right: What you eat is what you are.
- Ensure your diet contains whole foods like beans, grains, nuts, seeds, and fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid packaged and refined foods. These contain too much of sugar, sodium, stabilizers, preservatives, and artificial colours and flavours; none of which are healthy.
- When you eat out, try including dishes that spell out "steamed," "baked," "poached," "roasted," "broiled" or "grilled". Try avoiding anything that goes by "fried," "au gratin," "crispy," "pan-fried," "sautéed".
- Avoid the white foods like white rice, white bread, white pasta, and white sauces. These foods are processed, and lack in fibre and nutrients.
- Eat at least three hours before you hit the bed.
- You must consume at least three fruits a day and several helpings of fresh vegetables.
- Never over-eat. Instead you should have several small meals throughout the day.
Get over coffee and alcohol: Limit your intake of coffee. Excessive caffeine consumption can dehydrate you and lead to restlessness, tense muscles, sleep disturbances, and ***cardiac arrhythmias*** (irregular heartbeats). One must switch to healthy herbal teas instead. Alcohol intake should be limited to no more than two drinks daily for men and one for women.
Take multi-vitamins: Ask you medical practitioner to recommend a ***nutritional supplement***, because no matter what you eat, it sometimes does not suffice the nutritional needs of the body.
Drink plenty of water: One must drink at least eight glasses of water a day. The body needs water to move oxygen and nutrients into your cells and tissues; remove toxins and waste products out of your cells; break down fat cells for weight loss and to keep joints lubricated. Staying hydrated will ensure you have higher energy levels, less fatigue and better digestion.
Take a walk: You really don't need to join the gym to burn those extra calories. Instead just walk; you could walk to work or even walk in your lunch break.
Skip the elevators: Always try taking the stairs where possible, in your office building, at your apartment building or in the shopping mall.
The above tips don't require you to pull out extra time from you busy schedule, but to just alter a few habits and your diet. So if you would like to enhance your health on a daily basis, we recommend you follow the above religiously.