People today, particularly the hi-fi professional males are always on their toes flying frequently; all over the country if not globally. While flying it is common to be subjected to high levels of stress, muscle cramps, ***nausea*** and jet-lags. Hence one needs to be careful as to what one eats on a flight, as healthy flight foods help in a big way to keep all these problems at bay and ease you through the journey.
Planning before you fly
Frequent business trips can take a toll on your health. If you are not flying first class on your trips then the healthy food options are very few. Hence, planning before flying is very essential to make sure you still are eating healthy. Here’s how to go about it:Check on the in-flight meal options before booking. Go in for those which provide good food.
Grab a bite and then go on board the flight. This helps avoid acidity build-up.
16 ounces of water for every 2 hrs in the flight prevents dehydration.
Cheese burgers,fries,pizzas leads to constriction of blood flow.
- If it is a short flight then there might not be meal options. Eat a healthy meal before such flights.
- Eat light before arriving at the airport. Cereal, yogurt, milk and bread are good foods before starting from your home or before boarding.
- Pack your own snack: fresh fruits like apples, oranges and bananas are good while flying and can be hand carried. Also one can carry sandwiches; small bites of which can help you feel good while flying.
- A water bottle should always be handy as dehydration is a common occurrence while flying.
- Select a special meal: Don’t opt for non-veg meals as most of them are mostly undercooked. Vegetarian meals also have a lot of options like the vegan, low fat /low-cholesterol and gluten free meals. However, diabetic and low calorie meals tend to use artificial sweeteners and sugar free items and are best avoided while traveling.
The best foods that will help you through the flight are as below:-
- Oranges: They have plenty of Vitamin-C which is good for combating stress.
- Almonds and Cashews: These are rich in monounsaturated fats and are good for the heart.
- Walnuts: The omega3 fatty acids in walnuts will prevent high blood pressure and regulate your ***adrenaline*** and stress hormones.
- Bananas: Long flights and no legroom might lead to muscle cramping which can be prevented by the intake of bananas while flying. Bananas are rich in the muscle food potassium; which, when in inadequate supplies can trigger cramps. Also, high level of
- ***tryptophan*** in bananas has a calming effect.
- Dark chocolate: Feeling low during a flight? Try a piece of dark chocolate. It contains anadmine which brightens your moods.
- Apples: Apples are rich in fibre; will satisfy your appetite and keep your blood sugar levels under control.
- Ginger Ale: It helps in digestion and motion sickness. Keep some handy in a sipper or have some before boarding.
- Water: Kindly ensure that you carry a bottle of water while boarding a plane. As altitude increases there is low air pressure and the moisture evaporates quickly from your skin and lungs. You should drink at least 8 ounces of water before take-off, and keep a bottle handy during the trip. Dehydration can exacerbate hunger, fatigue and jet-lag.
- Sandwiches: Go for veggie or salad sandwiches which are the best option while flying. Try ones with a filling of cucumber, carrots and tomatoes.
The foods to be avoided in a flight:
- Avoid using cabbage, cauliflower and onions in sandwiches.
- Don’t drink alcohol, too much caffeine or carbonated drinks during your flight. These liquids dehydrate travelers and soda may cause acidity or dehydration.
Try not to over eat or gorge on rich foods before your flight. A bloated tummy in a pressurized airplane cabin isn’t something you want to deal with.