Acidity is a very common ailment experienced by most of us today. It however, can be cured completely with effective remedies from Ayurveda.
Acidity is a very common ailment experienced by most of us today. Owing to stressful routines, changing eating habits, lack of time for exercise and recreation; our lifestyles are undergoing major changes. These affect our body in more ways than one and acidity is one such side effect. It however, can be cured completely with effective remedies from Ayurveda.
Day to day foods that help subside acidity:
Acidity, also known as the Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is caused when digestive organs of the body begin producing acidic gastric juices, in excess. These then start moving from the stomach to the food pipe and may also cause excessive production of gas. As a result, the functioning of the stomach and food pipe is affected, causing heartburn and acidity.
Causes of acidity:
There are various factors that cause acidity in people. Some of these are:
- Consumption of food which is either fried or rich in ghee, spices and chilly.
- Eating food faster, without chewing properly and overeating may also cause the stomach to produce acid in excess in order to digest the larger chunks of food.
- Heavy drinkers and chain smokers may also experience periodic bouts of acidity.
- Stress, tension, anxiety and anger also trigger acidity in many people. Sometimes excess acidity due to persistent stress may also lead to ulcers in many people.
- People constantly suffering from constipation, colic or flatulence may also develop acidic dyspepsia.
- Excess of tea and coffee too causes acidity as caffeine stimulates acid production in the stomach.
- Long intervals between meals give more time to acids in the stomach to act; often leading to a burning sensation.
- Acidity can also be a side effect of certain medications especially strong antibiotics.
Symptoms of acidity:
People keep suffering from acidity without actually realizing what the real problem is, as symptoms of acidity often begin as mild heartburns or loss of appetite. They however, manifest into much serious problems like ulcers, stomach inflammations, stomach aches and chest pains at a later stage.
Ayurveda has been known to provide effective medication to help patients get rid of acidity for good. Ayurvedic treatments when taken for long periods of time help in regularizing the production of gastric juices and acids in the stomach. Here are some of Ayurveda’s tested remedies to fight acidity:
- Acidity caused by spicy and rich foods can be soothed by the anti-inflammatory chamomile. 10 drops of chamomile dissolved in a bowl of water can be used for hot compresses. In case of immense discomfort, the oil can also be rubbed on the stomach.
- Stress related acidity can be taken care of with lemon balm.
- Inflamed stomach and mucus membranes can be soothed by drinking a teaspoon of Slippery Elm (Ulmus Fulva) mixed in water.
- Make a mixture of a teaspoon of roasted cumin seeds, along with a fourth teaspoon each of mustard seeds and roasted fenugreek seeds. To this add a bit of asaphoetida and rock salt to taste. Mix and grind till powdery. Take half a teaspoon of this powder with one teaspoon of curd two times every day, for effective cure.
- Buttermilk taken with a pinch of black pepper and cumin powder, with salt for taste is an effective remedy for acidity. It has to be consumed quickly for best results.
- Grind together in equal quantity, some dried blossom of Holy Basil (Tulsi), rind of the neem tree, peepal tree and black pepper, till powdery. 3 gms of this powder can be taken every morning and evening with water, to help the body get rid of all acidity via urine and sweat.
- Include stomach soothing foods in your daily diet to overcome acidity. (See text box).
- If suffering from acidity constantly, take your daily glass of milk sugar free and cold. Sip it slowly and see the difference.
- If prone to acidity, limit your visits to the favorite fast food joint to just one or two a month. Instead add more fresh fruits and veggies to your diet.
- Replace the regular aerated drink with a glass of water, increasing the water intake each day to at least 10 glasses.Water however, can be avoided just after meals as it dilutes the digestive enzymes and acids and delays digestion.
- Skip your daily cup of tea and replace it with alkaline juices such as those of watermelons and cucumbers.
- Remember to follow any and every Ayurvedic remedy only under professional guidance.
- Indulge in daily exercises, after dinner walks and meditation to calm your nerves and stay relaxed.
All these lifestyle changes when combined with specific remedies from Ayurveda are sure to provide an effective and permanent solution to acidity.