High cholesterol can be fatal. Know how to control it.
Cholesterol, contrary to common belief, is very essential for the body since it helps in cell development and in the synthesis of hormones. However, when this waxy material accumulates in excessive quantities in the blood vessels and other vital parts of the body, it hampers health.
Cholesterol is manufactured in the liver of all living organisms using the fats consumed. There are two kinds of cholesterols –
- good cholesterol (HLD) and
- bad cholesterol (LLD).
In order to maintain optimum health, you should increase good cholesterol and reduce bad cholesterol levels in the body. Good cholesterol neutralizes the ill effects of bad cholesterol and keeps the body healthy.
Here are some effective tips to manage and lower cholesterol:
High cholesterol shows on the skin in the form of pinkish yellow bumps called xanthomas
In the Unites States, one in six people has high cholesterol
- One of the first things that you can do is to control your diet. Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and lower quantity of meat because this is where all the cholesterol comes from. Use little bit of oil while cooking.
- Alter your way of cooking. Prefer grilled, baked, steamed and boiled foods over fried ones. Use low fat sauces instead of dips.
- Avoid using saturated fats and shift to monounsaturated fats and unsaturated fats. Omega 3 fatty acids that are present in fish oil are a great source of good cholesterol.
- Fish is an excellent source of good cholesterol. It is also low in fats. One serving of fish per day is considered very healthy.
- Diet should include a lot of high fiber foods. Such foods stick to the waxy substance and help in flushing it out of the system. Whole grains should be preferred over refined grains.
- Junk foods and processed foods are high in trans-fats, which make them very dangerous for those with high cholesterol.
- Garlic, ginger and cloves should be included in diet because they have cholesterol reducing ability
- One glass of red wine is exceptionally good for the body since it reduces bad cholesterol by improving good cholesterol.
- Control your portions so that you do not consume too much cholesterol producing materials in a go. This leads to accumulation of the waxy material. Measure your portions with your hand as a benchmark. One handful of food indicates one helping.
- It is a misconception that nuts are bad for the heart. Nuts contain large concentrations of monounsaturated fats. So, they are converted into good cholesterol. However, remember not to eat too many nuts because they are high in calories. When trying to bring down cholesterol, do not eat nuts along with cakes and chocolates.
- There is nothing better than exercise to control cholesterol. Cardio exercises, core exercises and muscle building exercises control cholesterol. Indulge in at last 3 hours of exercise per week to maintain a healthy heart. Maintain healthy weight.
- Practice meditation to lower your stress. Too much of stress damages the heart. So, if your cholesterol is already high, it can be a fatal combination.
- Consult a doctor regularly. He might prescribe medication if cholesterol levels are too high, in order to augment cholesterol reduction through food and exercise
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol.
Do not ignore the importance of cholesterol in the body. At the same time, recognize the dangers and take steps to maintain healthy levels of cholesterol.