First Aid For Troublemaking Toddlers

on Saturday, 12 November 2011. Posted in Toddler health, Kid's Health Written By: Archana Mahendra

First aid tips for parents of toddlers

First Aid For Troublemaking Toddlers

If you thought your house was accident safe; well think again! For if you have kids at home, everything needs a rain check every now and then; most of all your proficiency with first aid.

If you thought your house was accident safe; well think again! For if you have kids at home, everything needs a rain check every now and then; most of all your proficiency with first aid.

Kids draw trouble like magnets and no matter how careful parents are; every now and then there is someone visiting the doctor with a child who has swallowed a coin, ingested a poisonous substance or worse still, stuck a bead in the nose; leave aside the usual cuts, bruises and burns!

With such incidences not uncommon around kids its best to have a good idea about the standard first aid procedures to follow when facing an emergency involving kids. A parent or caretaker who knows all first aid tips well, is bound to be more focused, composed and in control of the situation.

Swallowed objects:

Kids have often been seen to swallow all sorts of objects out of curiosity to taste. Among the most common swallowed objects are- coins, straight pins, buttons, beads, fruit pits, seeds etc. while pits and seeds are easy to ignore, sharp objects like glass bits, pins or even round coins need immediate attention.

First Aid Tips:

  • Give the kid something like a piece of bread to push down the swallowed object and prevent choking.
  • Any signs of breathlessness, pain or any other discomfort, need immediate medical attention.
  • Remember never to give a cathartic to a kid who has swallowed something.  
  • If the object swallowed is something that is not posing an immediate threat, still observe the child for any symptoms of trouble.


Choking

If you find a kid getting choked, either by a swallowed object or food; causing difficulty in breathing, by blocking the wind pipe; here is what you need to do:

First Aid tips:

  • Immediately hold the child upside down and pat the back vigorously, just behind the chest.
  • If the child begins to turn blue, it means that the child is unable to breathe and you need to rush for medical attention.

Objects stuck in nose or ears:

Kids have a weird habit of sticking everything in their nostrils or ears. Often parents do not get to know in time that their child has got something stuck in the ears or the nostrils. Kids also avoid telling the parents due to fear or simply because they have not yet begun feeling the discomfort. Therefore, identifying visual signs is very important. If there is any swelling, foul smelling discharge or slight bleeding from either of the above mentioned places; rush the child to the doctor immediately.

First Aid Tips:

  • If the object stuck can be seen by you, take a pair of tweezers and gently try to pull it out.
  • Make sure the head of the child is held still while you are doing this.
  • Also do not push or try too hard as you may further hurt the child.
  • Avoid using anything that is smooth or long and avoid getting stressed.
  • Avoid putting any oils or lotions to lubricate the area and pull out the object.

Poisons

Often there are many household items that may be poisonous if ingested, splashed or applied by kids, like: antiseptic creams or liquids, floor or toilet cleaners, medicines, oils etc. Kids often drink them because of their attractive packaging or colors.

First aid tips for poisonous substances in the eye or on the skin:

  • Splash lot of water on the skin.
  • Use an eye dropper to rinse the eyes thoroughly as kids do not like their eyes being splashed with water.
  • First aid tips for poisonous substances swallowed:
  • In case of kids poison spreads through the body at a much faster rate than adults owing to smaller body size.
  • Reach for the nearby poison control centre or emergency hospital at the earliest.
  • Incase help is far away and it will take time before the child gets help; immediately give your child a tablespoon of syrup ipecac to induce vomiting.
  • Once that is done rush to the hospital without delay as late reactions to the poison are possible.

Do not induce vomiting if:

If the child swallows any of the following substances; please do not induce vomiting; gasoline, cleaning fluids benzene, bleach, liquid auto polish, kerosene, insect sprays, caustic lime, turpentine, liquid furniture polish, drain cleaners, ammonia and acids like nitric or sulfuric acid.Some of these can burn the throat on their way out while others may choke the child being too thick and oily in nature.

With kids and their curious nature, while it is very difficult to always steer them away from danger; it is possible however, to remain calm and composed in times of an emergency to ensure timely and correct action.

 

Social Buttons